Gastroenterology Community
post appendectomy pain possible hernia

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

post appendectomy pain possible hernia

I am 19 years old and recently had an open appendectomy a month ago.My appendix did not burst nor was ruptured.2 days ago I experienced pain beneath the incision site.It started when I was straining during an episode of bowel movement. Ever since I have been experiencing that cramping pain, giving it 3/10 score in the pain scale, and it is aggravated by coughing, laughing, sneezing. This morning I experienced vague generalized pain in my abdomen right after a bowel movement and was experiencing slight nausea and vomiting. what could this be?my docotr said that the pain in the right lower quadrant beneath the incision site is normal and that I should not lift heavy objects in order for it not to develop into a hernia. and he gave me zantac for the generalized vague pain..what advice can you give me???
Tags: bowel
Call your doc and have him/her check out what's going on. It can take up to a year to fully re-establish the integrity of an area that was operated on. If you're only a month out of surgery and somehting doesn't seem right, it's not a good idea to speculate. Call the doc and get this checked out.