Gastroenterology Community
rectal bleeding after gb surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rectal bleeding after gb surgery

my husband had gb surgery 5 days ago. He has been fine until today.  He has been throwing up, complaining of abdominal pain, and bleeding out of his rectum at times.  How do we treat these symptons? is this from the laperascopic surgery?

Is your husband still in hospital - if not I think he should be and the reason for rectal bleeding should be discovered and treated.  Rectal bleeding is never normal.  For causes etc type in rectal bleeding to google/yahoo etc and click on one of the many sires.  The Medicinenet site is particularly informative.

If the rectal bleeding was not present prior to the operation then it may be associated with the GB surgery - the surgeons should provide the answer.

Also there is a condition called "ileus" which is the unwillingness of the intestines to start functioning again following their manipulation during surgery.  This causes nausea and vomiting and the vomiting of bile juices.  Again, ask the surgeon "have I got an ileus"?  I think that there are drugs that can treat an ileus of, after a few days, it does not cure itself.

Laparoscopic surgery is less invasive than "fully open/surgeons hands inside the body" and so the symptoms are, in my opinion, somewhat surprising - but I'm not a doctor.

Do interrogate the surgeons - they have a duty of "professional after-care" that does not stop when the patients wounds are sutured and the medical dressings applied!!.

regards
Morecambe