Gastroenterology Community
vitamin c flush and mucous?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

vitamin c flush and mucous?

Recently my doctor discovered that I have feces build up on my intestinal walls.  She said I was constipated.  I had told her that I go to the bathroom every day and my stool was soft.  So how could I be constipated? From what she explained to me, it's years of build up on the walls of my intestines.  So.... she suggested a vitamin c flush for a weak.  Also, a daily fiber powder in apple juice and 500 mg of magnesium at night.  Well...my stomach bloated up (very painful) and I started going to the bathroom repeatedly.  Here's that catch...what is coming out in the bathroom is more like a slime than a stool. It's orangish in color and is long, slimy and stringy.  This has been happening since I started the regimen yesterday.  Does anybody know if this is normal?  Or has anybody had a similar experience?  Please let me know.
I've heard of people having all sorts of wild stuff come out after they go through a cleanse.  The trick to not having a lot of discomfort from this kind of radical clean-out is to drink a lot of water.  Then when you stop the regimen, very slowly introduce just liquid diet to your digestive tract, and then soft foods for maybe several days, and then gradually add in harder stuff, but avoid red meat for a while since it's so hard to digest.  To resolve the bloating, since it hurt you, try an ordinary alka seltzer, it releases gases that are bound to form in the tummy and gut during this process.

As for the constipation idea the doc suggested, it's possible that sometime in the past you may have been sick with a cold or just got digestion clog-up a time or two, and some of that waste just stuck around, hidden in this crevice or that curve.  I think the slime coming out now is more the normal mucous in the bowels that is automatically released to help waste pass down the intestinal tract.  The color may have more to do with the cleanse products, but could be other types of biles and acids that are normally released to break down waste.  Could also just be how old watered-down waste looks.  

Whenever you get sick of this whole thing and want to stop after a good-faith effort, you COULD sort of finish it off by getting one of those boxes of ready-made enemas at the drugstore, it'll flush out part of your large intestine with the prepared water in them, and that'll get rid of most of the goo.  Then as you introduce liquids, then soft foods, and at last regular stuff, it'll push out the rest of whatever wierdness is in there.

In the future, to keep your bowels "clean," if you'll just add a little more water and fiber to your daily intake (by fiber, not the prepared kind, but stuff like oatmeal, cheerios, whole wheat sandwiches or subs with lettuce and tomato, vegies, fruit as a snack), you will have less waste buildup in the intestines.  That's why they sometimes refer to fiber foods as "roughage," their bulk kind of scrubs out the bowel.