Gastroenterology Community
what are the long term effects of tpn?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

what are the long term effects of tpn?

My husband had bowel obstruction surgery 7 months ago, it did not go well, he could not come off the ventilator (which has been pretty consistant for the entire time). About 7 weeks into this ordeal in the process of changing the dressing for the wound vac they did not moisten it properly and created an intestinal fistula.  A week later another one appeared.  They attempted skin graftting at 10 weeks and at 3 months removed the ng tube feeding and replaced it with TPN which he has been on since (4 months). When I mention to people he has been on TPN that long they say "oh I'm sorry".  What are the side effects of TPN and why would they say that?    Patty
Related Discussions
Patty, I believe people are saying that to try to show you that they are sorry that your husband is having a tough go of things right now. It may not be a reflection of the length of time your husband has been on TPN. I think any 'normal' person would think TPN to be 'torture' since it doesn't involve chewing and tasting food.

TPN can and is used for extended period of time with very few side effects. When side-effects occur, they can range from mild to life-threatening. You can google 'side-effects of TPN' and look for a listing under "nlm." It will give you a general overview of some of the more common side-effects.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...