Heart Disease Expert Forum
21 year old with chest pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

21 year old with chest pains

I'm a 21-year old, active, average height and size, and have been experienceing sharp chest pains.  The chest pains are usually right in the center, but sometimes are in other areas of my whole chest.  The pain only lasts for a few seconds.   My  EKG was normal, and my doctor said it was probably either stress or caffeine.  The stress and caffeine have been somewhat decreased, but not entirely.  I also have tremendous back problems, which I'm don't think I told the doctor I saw.  Also, I very unwisely took Phen-Fen when it was still legal (only for 2-3 months, and often I just took half a dose).  Does it seem like the doctor's opinion was correct?  I'm not sure what else to do.  I guess the EKG would have shown a heart problem.  Thanks for your time.
  Jen

_
Dear Jen, thank you for your question.  I doubt the Phen-Fen did any damage to your heart and that the pain you are experiencing is caused by the heart.  Most likely, you have pain caused by a musculoskeletal problem that may respond to anti-inflammatory medications like motrin.  Given your age and gender, there is almost no chance that you have anything wrong with your heart - your ECG supports this conclusion.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.