Heart Disease Expert Forum
8 year old with heart murmur

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

8 year old with heart murmur

My son had an echocardiogram today. I know that we won't get the results until next week, but I keep worrying about it. At the end of the echo, the technician had him lay on his side and put the transducer on his back. I can't find any information that mentions this. Does that provide an alternative window and if so, to which plane?

When he wad born, a murmur was detected, but the doctor did not think it warranted follow up. When he was six, it was again noted during his physical. They had us return two weeks later and decided that it did not require follow up. He was sick last week with a stomach bug and complained of chest pain. His heart was racing when his chest hurt. The doctor listen to his heart for quite some time and mentioned the murmur again. She decided to order the echo to 'find out what is causing it'. I think that it is probably not serious, but it is difficult not to worry. He loves sports and plays organized football, basketball, and baseball. Do many types murmurs require that a person not participate in these sports?
This question would best be answered in the pediatric cardiology forum.