Heart Disease Expert Forum
ASA/PFO and aspirin therapy?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ASA/PFO and aspirin therapy?

I am a male in my mid-Thirties who is in good health. However, I had a TTE with bubble contrast performed a few weeks ago, and it revealed that I have both a PFO and an Atrial Septal Aneurysm (ASA).

Previous echos had shown a potential ASA, but were done without saline contrast. The most current test showed a moderate amount of shunting of microbubbles from right to left at the Foramen Valley. Aside from PFO and ASA, the test confirmed a long-standing diagnosis of MVP. Otherwise, everything else was normal. My blood Oxygen levels sitting, standing, and at rest are all normal, too.

A nuclear stress test earlier this year was uneventful. Aside from occasional non-debilitating palpitations and some minor, fleeting chest pain, my only other problems are hypothyroidism, for which I take a daily dose of 75 mcg of levothyroxine, and some heartburn/gastritis issues, for which I take Prilosec OTC. A recent upper GI was normal.

My doctor wants me to immediately start a daily, low-dose aspirin for the PFO/ASA:

1. Are the risks of suffering an ischemic stroke due to PFO/ASA greater or less than the risk of long term anti-coagulation therapy with aspirin?

2. Can it be safely assumed that the TTE's results are accurate in regards to the PFO? My cardio doc said a TEE, while more accurate, would be unneccssary testing at this time to confirm this diagnosis made by the TTE.

The reason I am worried about the accuracy of the PFO is that an ASA or PFO alone are seemingly not a stroke risk, but together the are a risk...

Thanks!