Heart Disease Expert Forum
ASD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ASD

I was recently diagnosed with ASD, and have had a heart cath which confirmed the defect.  My opening is 1.6cm, and I have received different opinions from my docs.  My internist says that surgery is definitely indicated; the cardiologist who did the heart cath says surgery is not needed; and my regular cardiologist is researching the condition. He said that if the defect was 1cm or smaller, that surgery would not be indicated, and if the defect was 2cm or larger, then surgery would definitely be indicated.  Since my defect is 1.6cm, I am on the borderline. The right side of my heart is enlarged, my blood pressure is high, I experience shortness of breath when doing some normal activities (like climbing stairs, or carrying groceries), have frequent headaches and do become light headed at certain times, and sometimes experience heaviness in my chest,and have attacks of tachycardia.  My pulse rate is extremely high. If I don't have the surgery, what are the risks later in life (I am a 49 year old female)?  And if I do have the surgery, will most of my symptons disappear?  Thank you for any help-I am confused!