Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Regurgitation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Aortic Regurgitation

Thank you for making this forum available!  I am a 32-year-old male who just had an echo.  The technician said I had a slight murmur, the cardiologist said I was normal (but to get another echo in 3-4 years if I wanted), and my primary care doctor said I should be concerned.  So, naturally, I'm confused and worried.  Here is what my echo reads:  The Color Doppler reveals an aortic systolic jet of .9 m/sec.  Antegrade flow across mitral valve is normal.  Trace-to-mild mitral regurge, trace-to-mild aortic regurge. trace tricupsid regurge, and trace pulmonic regurge.  Now, the IMPRESSION reads the same EXCEPT for aortic regurge, which is described as mild-to-moderate.  I am confused why the Doppler reads trace-to-mild and the impression reads mild-to-moderate.  From what I've read on here, trace/mild is not a big deal.  But mild-to-moderate is.  My MD suggested antibiotics for dental visits, etc., and seemed to take the mild-to-moderate very seriously.  Also, my EF was 55%.  
I don't smoke, don't drink, am not overweight, have 120/80 BP, resting heart rate of 65 or so.  

I have a few questions:  
1.  Which is the correct finding:  the Doppler or the Impression?
2.  If the impression is correct, what is the likelihood of mild-to-moderate degenerating to severe/congestive heart failure?  How much can my lifestyle (BP, lower resting heart rate, no diabetes, etc.) retard that degeneration?  
3.  My EF is not stellar.  55% sounds borderline.  I have not been running this past year.  Will my EF go up as I run more and strengthen my heart?  Do EF's diminish with age? Thanks!