Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aspirin and Vitamin E

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aspirin and Vitamin E
My husband is 70, and we have read where it is advisable to take 1 aspirin a day to guard against possible heart attacks. He is currently taking 800 IU of Vitamin E which, I understand, is a blood thinner. Would you advise that he still take an aspirin a day? Thanks
I would recommend aspirin if he is diabetic, or if he has had previous cardiac disease (heart attacks, angioplasty, bypass surgery), peripheral vascular disease, or a history of certain types of strokes. If he is completely healthy, the decision to start aspirin is controversial. Some doctors recommend it, but at present, I do not.
A related discussion, VIT E AND ASPIRIN was started.