Atrial Septal Defect
Posted By Devorah R. Hebior on January 06, 1999 at 10:59:51:

My 6 month only daughter has been diagnosed with Atrial Septal Defect.  Because she is not showing any symptoms at this point, the cardiologist would like to wait until she is a year in a half and do another echo and then decide what course of treatment is best for her.
I have been involved in a support group for parents with children who have cardiac issues and I am receiving information about their children's experiences with ASD.  It appears that some children are having surgery right away to correct the problem and others are waiting till they are between 2-4 to correct the problem.
My question is this, if you had a child who had ASD with no symptoms presently but with a size of 5 mm, what would you do?  Would you wait another year to have an echo done, or would you get a second opinion now.
Thanks for your time.