Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrial Septal Defect

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atrial Septal Defect
Posted By Devorah R. Hebior on January 06, 1999 at 10:59:51:

My 6 month only daughter has been diagnosed with Atrial Septal Defect.  Because she is not showing any symptoms at this point, the cardiologist would like to wait until she is a year in a half and do another echo and then decide what course of treatment is best for her.
I have been involved in a support group for parents with children who have cardiac issues and I am receiving information about their children's experiences with ASD.  It appears that some children are having surgery right away to correct the problem and others are waiting till they are between 2-4 to correct the problem.
My question is this, if you had a child who had ASD with no symptoms presently but with a size of 5 mm, what would you do?  Would you wait another year to have an echo done, or would you get a second opinion now.
Thanks for your time.