Heart Disease Expert Forum
BP and Dilantin

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

BP and Dilantin
kd
A couple of weeks ago I had a small stroke which set off some seizure activity.  They started me on 300 mg/day of dilantin which landed me back in the hospital with dilantin toxicity.  They dropped it to 200 mg/day with resulting toxicity and then to 100 mg/day with the same results.  I am now on 100 mg every other day and expect the results back this afternoon.

I am on quite a few BP meds to control MVPR, atherosclerosis,  and a high systolic BP:  Cardizem CD, Zestril, Catapres TTS2, Lozol, Plavix and a few other things: Folic Acid, Vit. E.,  Lipitor, and Premarin (.3 mg/day).

Do you know if the heart/circulatory system meds would increase the intensity of the dilantin?

I already checked with my pharmacist and he says nothing pops out at him except the Premarin.  Some resources say that Premarin will increase the effect and some say it decreases the effect.  All say that it decreases the effect of the Premarin but I can't find anything else.  The neuro didn't have anything to say except about the Premarin, and the dose is so small.

Thanks for your input.  Obviously it wasn't a big stroke but all this seizure stuff and dilantin side effects are starting to get me down.

kd

No, none of the cardiac drugs will interact with the Dilantin.  If you are controled on the every other day then you should be fine.