Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Clot near Biceps Femoris (Harmstring) Chronic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have a blood clot on the posterior side of my left leg.  
  It is Superficial to all muscle.  I can see and touch it.
  After streneous activity, the clot swells and is painful to touch.
  On two occasions, The clot has released.  I felt it move
  through me and felt a sharp pain in my chest as (I can only guess)
  it went through my heart.
  What can be doen to get ridr of this.  My doctor told me to
  take aspirin.  It never helped and I stoped.  
  I am wondering if I should get another opinion. I have not seen a doctor
  about it for a few years and It has been flaring up more often.
  Are there any procedures that can be done?  
  Can you help me with some options?  
  Can you inform me of what might be going on?
  Jose

_
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Dear Jose,
Thank you for your question.  It sounds like you have a superficial thrombosis.  Superficial thrombosis is a blood clot of the superficial veins.  It is often caused by trauma to the area or poor blood flow in that area.  Treatment is with pain medications and warm compresses.  It may take several weeks to months to completely resolve but should not last for years.  This type of blood clot will not travel anywhere in the body.
Deep venous thrombosis is a more serious condition.  This is blood clots of the "deep" veins in the leg.  It may be caused by prolonged immobility of an extremity or a condition which causes the blood to more easily clot (hypercoagulable state).  This type of blood clot can break off and travel to the lung causing lung damage.  Blood thinners are used to treat this type of clot.  If you think you have this type you should seek the care of your doctor.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.