Heart Disease Expert Forum
CHF and cold weather

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

CHF and cold weather

Hi,  I have written to you several times and I find your information very good,
    I am a 57 year old diabetic for 34 years who had a heart attack and triple bypass exactly 1 year ago tomorrow,  At the time of my surgery I was also diagnosed with CHF.  In the past year my need for Demedex has decreased from over 100 mg of  Demedex to just 20 once a day with no visable symtoms (symptoms).  I live in Illinois where it is below zero right now.  Is it bad for me to go outside?  When I go outside to take the dog out, I really bundle up, scarf over mout, etc..  Just how much must I watch the cold weather.  This is really the first episode of cold weather since my surgery.  I don't want to put myself in jeaperdy over this.  Do you have any advice?
  Marlene
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
Dear Marlene,
Thank you for your question.  There are no contraindications for someone with heart failure to outside in the cold.  Cold can sometimes cause angina in someone who has not received therapy and it can cause asthma attacks in people with asthma.  You can check with your doctor to make sure for your particular case if you are concerned.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.