Heart Disease Expert Forum
Carotid arteries as proxies for coronary arteries?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

If I have some level of blockage in my carotid arteries is it likely that I have similar blockage in my coronary arteries?
The development of atherosclerotic plaque in arteries in the body roughly occur via a similar mechanism.  If you have known carotid artery disease and have multiple risk factors (high blood pressure, smoker, high cholesterol, diabetes) it places you at risk for development of similar cholesterol build-up in the smaller arteries in your body (i.e. your heart).  Minimizing your risk factors and maintaining good cardiovascular health (low salt diet, low fat diet) with regular cardiovascular exercise is important for both.