Heart Disease Expert Forum
Decongestants and heart valve disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Decongestants and heart valve disease
Can the prolonged use (5 and a half years) of Nasonex, Afrin nasal spray, and Allegra D or the same family of drugs cause damage to the heart valves, if on already had a preexisting problem ?  

I am 38 and was diagnosed with mild aortic regurgitation 18 years ago.  The problem remained mild for 13 years and I was told 5 years ago to have an echocardiogram every 5 years.  

Five years ago I also hurt my nose playing basketball.  Fearing the corrective surgery to fix my deviated nasal septum, I have taken the above mentioned decongestants for five years.  My recent echocardiogram demonstrated severe aortic regurgitation, thickened intraventricular wall, dilated left ventricle, dilated aorta etc.

I have not had high blood pressure over this time.

Please advise.
The condition of your aorta and aortic root is unrelated to the use of those medications.  BAsed on what you described above, you will need valve surgery soon.  I think it's ok for you to use the nasonex and the allegra.  I would not use the afrin.  It's not safe in patients without any heart disease if used longer than 3 days anyways.  It may actually make your condition worse due to a rebound phenomenon that frequently occurs with this medication.