Heart Disease Expert Forum
Decongestants and heart valve disease
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Decongestants and heart valve disease

Can the prolonged use (5 and a half years) of Nasonex, Afrin nasal spray, and Allegra D or the same family of drugs cause damage to the heart valves, if on already had a preexisting problem ?  

I am 38 and was diagnosed with mild aortic regurgitation 18 years ago.  The problem remained mild for 13 years and I was told 5 years ago to have an echocardiogram every 5 years.  

Five years ago I also hurt my nose playing basketball.  Fearing the corrective surgery to fix my deviated nasal septum, I have taken the above mentioned decongestants for five years.  My recent echocardiogram demonstrated severe aortic regurgitation, thickened intraventricular wall, dilated left ventricle, dilated aorta etc.

I have not had high blood pressure over this time.

Please advise.