Heart Disease Expert Forum
Discontinuing Atenolol due to poor healing
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Discontinuing Atenolol due to poor healing

I've been on 75 mg daily of Atenolol for high blood pressure for about a year. The medication has worked fine with the only side effect being poor circulation to my hands & feet. Within the past month I have had surgery on my foot (excision of a melanoma with a skin graft) and, due to poor circulation, the surgery site is not healing well.

I asked my physician if she would consider changing my medication and she agreed to switch me to a diuretic instead (hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg).The nurse instructed me to stop the Atenolol immediately and start using the diuretic. I asked if I should gradually reduce the dose of Atenolol and she indicated this was not necessary. That makes me nervous as everything I've read concerning Atenolol indicates that you should not abruptly stop using the drug. Is it safe to just stop using Atenolol?
Thanks,
Joline