Heart Disease Expert Forum
EKG report and interpretation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

EKG report and interpretation

My daughter who has a history of mild connective tissue disease, unspecified...and Graves' Disease is currently being evaluated for episodes of chest pain.  A typical episode is sharp, retrosternal, and is associated with shortness of breath.  She is receiving anti reflux medications, but the gut feeling is that it is not a GI problem.  She has received extensive cardiac evaluation.  Her first EKG was abnormal....I don't know the name of the abnormality but the cardiologist drew me a picture and said that the spike that follows the high spike was significantly higher than it should be...it was approximately 3/4 the height of the large spike.  Since then she has had several EKGs that have been reported as being within normal limits.  They sent me a copy of her last EKG to give to her primary doctor....the analysis reads "normal sinus rhythm, and nonspecific T wave abnormality".  This T-wave abnormality was not commented upon in the cardiologists notes to the doctor, it was just stated that the ekg fell within
  normal limits.  The plan is to return her to Emergency room of local hospital during next episode of severe pain to have cardiac enzymes checked, to rule out ischemia.  If enzymes are elevated, then a thallium stress test would be the next step.
  My question is what significance, if any, is a nonspecific T wave abnormality?  Would this be the same abnormality that was noted in the original abnormal EKG, based on the description of the elevated spike?  Or would these be two separate issues?  The initial EKG read enlarged right atrium, but chest xrays have found no heart enlargement, and echocardiogram was normal.  Because my daughter has a history of medical conditions, I want to understand what is going on.  Because my daughter is a competitive athlete (former gymnast, currently swimmer) and spends a significant amount of time doing heavy amounts of exercise, and because the pain seems to be related to exercise, I worry.  Thanks for your help!
  Dee