Heart Disease Expert Forum
Echocardiogram

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Echocardiogram

I had an echocardiogram today and on the top sheet of paper under "impression" he had circled "redundant." I didn't really take notice of any thing else except that "Prom RV APX" was also written across the paper. I'm just curious as to the meaning of these 2 things... I do have a follow up on Monday but in the mean time its driving me crazy since the only meanings for Prom I can think of are "premature rupture of membranes" and "passive range of motion". Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Redundant means more than necessary. This on an echocardiogram report is usually a normal variant (seen in some patients that causes no problems). The prom rv apx, I would assume, is short for prominent right ventricular apex. This means that the bottom of the right side of your heart was more noticeable than normal to the doctor reading the study. This too can be a normal variant, or represent something else that may be going on. The interpretation of this is reliant upon your medical history.