Heart Disease Expert Forum
Fast Pulse and Pacemaker

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Fast Pulse and Pacemaker
About 4 months ago I had a pacemaker installed. Ever since, my pulse seems quite high. Even when I'm not exerting much effort it is well above 90. During my last check up, I was told that the electrode going into my atrium was draining power from the pacemaker at a high rate. They were attempting to adjust this.  What could be causing this? Is this a worry? I keep thinking there is some underlying cause & it's making me depressed. help?  
There is something called pacemaker mediated tachycardia, which is where the atrial lead senses the activity in the ventricle and is triggered to start another cardiac cycle prematurely, resulting in a fast heart rate. This usually results in rates much faster than the 90s though -- usually in the 100-130s, sometimes faster. If this were happening, it should show up when the pacemaker is interrogated, so if the interrogation turned out okay, then it is probably not the problem.