Heart Disease Expert Forum
Fluid on the Lung?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fluid on the Lung?

I have heard the term "fluid on the lung" very often, and never really understood it.  My father, who recently had a double by-pass, Jan 99, is back in hospital with this condition.  It came on suddenly, and he is being treated for it.  What exactly is "fluid on the lung", where does it come from? or Why does it happen?

He is a diabetic, and he took a very bad coughing spell, back in January, and this is when the ER discovered he was having major heart problems.  This is all so new to me.  I always thought that signs of a heart attack were, pain in the chest, numbness in the arm,,etc.  But to know that this coughing was related somehow, I just don't understand. As I think of other people who have passed away, I recall hearing about the coughing.  Please could you explain this to me.
Related Discussions
238668_tn?1232735930
The term "fluid on the lung" is a laymans term for several different disorders including pulmonary edema and pulmonary effusion.  It is basically what it sounds like in that there is a build-up of fluid in the lung or surrounding space.  The fluid is from the blood stream and it "leaks" out when there is something wrong with the usual operating mode of the body.  There are several different organ systems that can cause "fluid on the lung" but the two main ones are heart and lung.  PUlmonary edema may be the first indication that there is something wrong with the heart.  Coughing is a symptom that something is wrong with the lung and can be caused by many different things including pulmonary edema.  The treatment for fluid on the lung would depend on what the source of the condition is.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, fluid on lung was started.
Blank
A related discussion, what causes fluid in the lungs of unborn children? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank