Heart Disease Expert Forum
Follow-up#2: LAFB
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Follow-up#2: LAFB

Dear Doctor,

Wow, thanks for the speedy answer.  I'm beginning to resign myself (though very reluctantly) to the prospect that I may never know the cause of my chest pains following cocaine use and whether LAFB was due to minor MI or something congenital. (I don't have a previous ECG).

At this point I'm worried about whether an MI that is "undetectable" may affect my life-expectancy.  Please consider this last set of questions:

1) Is it true that any MI that resulted in myocardial cell death would have left some scarring?  

2) Only an MI that resulted in myocardial cell death and scarring is relevant to my long term prognosis and life-expectancy, right? If there is no scarring, then can we assume that whatever happened will not affect my life-expectancy?

3) Assuming that I suffered an MI, don't there exist "post-hoc" means to detect scarring?  MUGA?  I've also heard of some new technology using MRI to detect direct evidence of MI (as opposed to troponin/CK which are indirect evidence).      

4) My cardiologist says that Troponin I level would show at least some increase even if minor MI occurred, even though blood was taken 4 days (102 hrs.) after event.  Doctor who answered my first posting here says that's not true, given my age (26 yrs).  My Trop. level was low (<.3 NG/ML).  I'm confused--can you resolve or point me to some literature?

Thanks,
Thomas