Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Ejection Factor

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Ejection Factor

: I had a heart attack in 1993.  My heart attack was cause by my heart losing it's rhythm(arrhythmic I think it's called).  When I was in the hospital I had a heart cath done and no blockages was found.  Every year since 1993 I have a stress test and cardio ultra sound done.  In 1994 my ejection factor was 45%, this year my ejection factor was 15%.  My question is how can I increase my ejection factor back to 45%, 50% or higher.  Would exercise help in increasing the ejection factor or is there another solution.  My doctor has me on Prinivil 20mg,Liptor (liptor) 10mg and Warfarin 6mg.  I am 50 years old and I do workout on my Nordic track 2 to 3 times a week for about 20 to 30 minutes.
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Dear Robert D,
  Thank you for your question.  It is not entirely clear to me why you had your heart attack.  Was this a "myocardial infarction" meaning there was a loss of blood flow to the heart or was it a "cardiac arrest"  meaning that the heart stopped?  A cardiac arrest would require CPR and a shock to the heart while a myocardial infarction would involve medical therapy.  It is possible to have a myocardial infarction with no significant blockages seen on cath due to spasm of the coronary artery.  The answers to these questions are key as to determining why your ejection fraction has decreased and what further therapy can be done.  
  In general, ejection fraction does not significantly increase but methods of optimization include medical management of the underlying problem and revascularization of any blockages.  I would encourage you to seek the advise of a cardiologist to optimize the therapy of your condition.  Hope this helps.

Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist.
Thank you for your answer to my question.  I believe I was in cardiac arrest because the Paramedics had to use the paddles on me to restart my heart.  When I was in the cardiac emergency center at the hospital I was given Streptokinase to help remove the blood clot.  The medical diagnosis on the card that I carry in my wallet says "Anterior and Lateral MI with Streptokinase".  Hope this gives you more information.