Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart blockage reverseable?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart blockage reverseable?

I've searched the archives but haven't been able to find an answer that is on my mind.  Can proper eating habits and exercise reverse heart blockage?
  I'm  39 with a long history of improper diet and little exercise.  There are no indications I have any problems but if I change my ways can I reverse any damage done?
  Thank you for your forum and all the patience and understanding your group shows.  I've had PVC's and PAC's for over 15 years but between my own cardiologist, your archives and your answer to one of my previous questions I am learning to accept these events and to take responsbility for my own health.  You guys are great.....

_
Dear Mark, thank you for your question.  Thank you for your kind words regarding our forum.  There have been some studies that show a reversal of coronary artery disease with severe dietary restriction of fat and cholesterol, relaxation therapy, and regular exercise.  We also know that reduction of cholesterol levels dramatically reduces cardiac events even in people without known coronary artery disease.  No one can know if you already have "damage" to your heart, but I strongly recommend that you follow a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet and that you participate in daily aerobic exercise for 30-45 minutes a day.  By following these recommendations, you'll have the best chance of preventing future cardiac events.  Before instituting such changes, it's a good idea for you to see your own physician.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.  Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

A related discussion, care for blockage was started.