Heart Disease Expert Forum
Hypertension and Vaccines- Sudden onset

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Hypertension and Vaccines- Sudden onset
On September 24 I had a Japanese encephalitis vaccine shot. They take your blood pressure before and a half hour after the shot. It was 130/80 before and 140/80 after the half hour. 19 Days later, I went for the second shot, but the nurse refused to give it, as the BP was up to 150/85. I didn't go down again, even though the doctor suggested I should continue. The next week at the doctor' office- up to 160/80. I was told to come back in another week and it was 170/80. I was put on medications. This seems like too much of a coincidence.

Is such a dramatic change over a period of weeks usual? I am 65, but have no family history or previous record of high blood pressure. The minute before the shot- fine and never back to normal since. In addition another travel doctor told me this was an unnecessary shot, as I was going in luxury hotels in India and Nepal and mosquito season is over.

If this is vaccine related, is there a chance that the blood pressure will normalise by itself?
This is not vaccine related. You should have your blood pressure checked a few more times; if it remains elevated, you should be treated for high blood pressure, with medication if necessary.