Heart Disease Expert Forum
LVNC Effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

LVNC Effects

Good afternoon,

My three month old son has been diagnosed with Left Ventricular Non Compaction. I was also told that his liver is enlarged, and that he has Pulmonary Edema. They also put him on Lasix, 0.6ML twice a day. The Ped. Cardiatric center was terribly busy that day so the appointment was rushed and I didn't get to ask as many questions as I would have liked.

I am wondering if you would be able to explain to me why the LVCN effected his liver, as well as why the Pulmonary Edema. I am assuming the Lasix is to help the heart clean out the excess fluid from his system so that would help the edema? Another question I have is since he is so little and still growing, is the Potassium deficiency going to be a problem? Should I bother to ask them about putting him on Lasix K with the added Potassium?

Look forward to hearing back from you!
Regarding the potassium, they will have to see how he handles the lasix first, and his potassium stays normal, nothing will need to be done.  If on the other hand deficiency develops, supplementation will be necessary.  

LVNC causes something called diastolic dysfunction of the LV, which means that it doesn't fill well.  The fluid has to go somewhere and it ends up in the lungs first and then the liver and the belly.  The lasix will help.  Hopefully, the LVNC will correct itself over time.