Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low HDL and risk?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low HDL and risk?

My HDL has always been low, in mid to upper 30s.    was 25 last week, so a big percentage drop from 35.   TC was 125, and LDL at 65, consistent with prior tests.   Triglycerides popped up from 110 to 150.

I had stents put into my RCA 6 months ago so I am taking care to keep lipids low by eating almost 100% plant base diet.   My concern is that HDL is so low and the risk ratios of TC/HDL and especially TG/HDL has jumped significantly even with LDL low.    

Are these risk ratios as important when the LDL is low?   Any advice?

I am on pravastatin (10mg)
1687176_tn?1321401609
For patients with coronary artery disease or a coronary artery disease risk equivalent (i.e. diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, etc), the goal LDL should be < 100 (ideally  65, triglycerides < 150 and cholesterol  65 is counted more as a "negative risk factor").  Keeping a healthy diet and being on a statin is the appropriate management for you at this time. I would also ensure you are incorporating a healthy cardiovascular exercise regimen as well.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank