Heart Disease Expert Forum
ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES AND MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I am 22 yrs old and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 19.  I went to doctor after doctor before they figured out what it was.  When I was 17 i was put on the birth control pill Yasmin.  I have been takin it now for 4 yrs.  However, 2 weeks ago my doctor switched me to Yaz. I took it for a week and a half, and had to stop.  I started to get mood swings, headaches, dizziness, tired, sore eyes and then I started shaking and having mild chest discomfort.  So now im wanting to switch pills, but I dont have a clue which one I should take, especially since I have mitral valve prolapse.  I told my doctor this, and he also thinks I have PMDD.  But I dont think I do, because every since i started takin magnesium vitamins i havent had near as many problems with my mitral valve prolapse or pms.  I tend to get really irritable when Im pms-ing, so is there a particular pill that would be better for me than others?
I am not a OB-GYN, so I don't know what type of OCP will be better tolerated in your case. You may ask this uestion in the OB-Gyn forum.
As far as I know, there is no contraindication from a cardiac perspective for someone with MVP to take any kind of OCPs.