Heart Disease Expert Forum
PACs and cholesterol
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PACs and cholesterol

I am a 30 year old male, non-smoker.  From 1995 through 1996 I had a cholesterol of ~680 with triglycerides in the 3000s. I know that prior to '95 my cholesterol was ~200.  With diet and exercise I was able to lower that to 188 chol, 200 trig. However during '99 and '00 I was back up to 680 and 3000s and currently, with lopid and diet, I am down to 230 and 240 triglycerides. When I tried Niaspan earlier this year it caused bad palpitations.  After switching back to lopid, I was diagnosed with PACs.  I have had several EKGs, an echocardiogram and wore a holter for 24hrs.  All were 100% normal even though the holter showed 6 PACs over 24hrs all set off by exercise.  Occasionally during exercise I can have as many as 2 PACs per minute but mostly during the day I don't notice any.
My question is:
1) how much damage did 4 years of extremely high cholesterol do?  The holter didn't show any ischemia even though I exercised a lot while wearing it.
2) could the PACs be caused by plaque build up in my arteries? Even though the PACs themselves are benign, what is the chance that they're caused by something more dangerous?

Thank you for your help.