Heart Disease Expert Forum
Palpitations and shortness of breath
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Palpitations and shortness of breath

: Hi....
  : About a week ago, I began having heart palpitations, actually more like skipped beats along with being "winded". I also feel like I have to cough when I have the palpitations. I first noticed them when I was bowling.  I bowling competitively so this is not an unusual activity for me.  They went away half way through my bowling, so I just attributed them to fatigue since I had  a particularly busy week.  I didn't have them the next day, but have had them everyday since.  I have seen my doctor.  He says he doesn't believe its serious since I'm 35 years old and in generally good health. Although I am overweight and have been working in an extremely sedentary job for the past 10 months.He thinks I may just be out of shape, but I am scheduled for a stress test as a precaution. The palpitations occur at odd times.  For instance, a couple of times I've gone to the health club and rode the bike or walked on the tread mill for 10-15 mins....nothing.  Later in the day, I walked up three stairs to the door of my house and had palpitations along with being "winded".
  :  I've noticed I tend to get the skipped beats most of the time after eating a meal.  My meals haven't been big since I'm pretty nervous about the cause of the palpitations.  
  : Here are my question's:  I have Reflux disorder...could this be contributing to the palpitations or being "winded"?
  : For the past two years, I have also had chronic sinusitis, which I never had before.  I haven't been tested for allergies, but in this past week I've had an increased amount of post nasal drip.  Could this be aggravating the problem as well?
  : Thank you very much for this forum in which to pose my questions.
  Well, I've just returned from my stress test and frankly, I'm scared.  I was having palpitations before the test, which I don't normally have at rest.  During the test, the doctor said my palpitations were coming in groups of 4,5 & 6.  He called my family doctor, but he had the day off, so the doctor that administered the stress test ordered an echo cardiogram.  I don't know the results of that, I should tomorrow.  I'm extremely worried.  What ailments could cause this result in the stress test?  I hadn't eaten in eight hours when I had the test taken.  Could my stomach acids have played a part?  Thanks