Heart Disease Expert Forum
Possibly Heart Failure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Possibly Heart Failure?

I'm 22, female; have been trying to figure out what's wrong with me for over a year now.  I feel tired and weak all the time, now I can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time.  When I get up (even if slow) I feel like a hot rush from my head all the way to my feet and my vision becomes yellow.  I feel like my body is heavy, although I'm not overweight and eat healthy.  My doct. prescribed digoxin yesterday, I've been taking it since then...haven't noticed any major difference.  
I have two questions:
Could these symptoms be heart failure?
How long does it take for the digoxin to kick in?
Thank you so much for your help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Hello. Although clinical diagnosis cannot be maid through internet, there is nothing in your symptoms to make me thin that you have heart failure and that you could need digoxin. Digoxin is only used in patients with heart failure and decreased pumping of the left side of the heart (did you have an echocardiogram done?) or in patient with atrial fibrillation (a type of arrhythmia of the heart) to control the amount of beats per minute. There are several medical diagnosis to explain fatigue in a young patient and a minimal workup needs to be done to rule out specific diagnosis that can be treated. These tests should include: complete blood count with differential (CBC); complete metabolic panel (CMP) including electrolytes, glucose, renal and liver function tests; thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH); and creatine kinase (CK) if there is pain or muscle weakness present. My recommendation is to stay away from the digoxin unless you and your doctor are convinced that you have heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (pumping) of the left heart.

Good luck