Heart Disease Expert Forum
Post partum pvcs?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Post partum pvcs?

Hi!
I am 24 years old about to be 25. I've been in good health and weight by entire life. I've had the occasional skipped beat throughout my younger 20's, especially after nights at the bar( hungover) plus I was a smoker all the way up until I got pregnant with my now 5 month old daughter. My last couple weeks of pregnancy they got to be where they were all day everyday. My OBGYN didn't show any concern what so ever. When I would lay down and put my feet up that would help. During delivery I was having them still and it showed up on my EKG the little spike every few beats when it would happen. It didnt pose any concern to nurse on duty. Well now I'm 5mos post partum and I've been getting them everyday if not every couple days and it' feels like all day. I'm never lightheaded or chest pain of any sort. I still nurse at night and sometimes in the morning. I've had one period since her Birth. I've also gone through alot of emotional distress, actualy the most stress of my life in the last 2 months. It's hard to ignore and I haven't been to get checked yet. I tend to think that it may be my body trying to level it's hormone levels since I'm just barely nursing? I also am the most terrible at drinking water... Rarely a full glass a day... But sometimes I drink a good amount.. No caffeine alcohol of nicotine. Any thoughts that could ease my mind doc?

Thank u!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Generally speaking, PVC's are benign and very common. We would be concerned if they were causing you a great deal of symptoms (such as chest pain, shortness of breath, limitations of physical activity due to palpitations, lightheaded, etc).  You can get a holter monitor and an echocardiogram for completeness sake to truly ensure that your PVC's are benign.