Heart Disease Expert Forum
Puzzling Claudication Symptons. Aneurysm?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Puzzling Claudication Symptons. Aneurysm?

This is more of a question about vascular disease than heart disease, but I didn't see a specific forum for that.

I'm a male 57, most of my exercise comes from walking.  The last few months, I've noticed that my right leg gets sore and fatigued, the calf or hamstring muscles get tired and sore after 5 or 10 minutes of walking, while my left leg is completely fine.  This goes away after I stop for five minutes or so.  I pushed it a couple weeks ago, and my calf and hamstring muscles were sore for a week, like they had been overworked.

My doctor says the pulse in my right leg is strong and normal, and he hears no bad sounds in the big arteries.  Furthermore, I've recently had echo stress tests and a calcium CAT scan of my heart that both showed no signs of arterial sclerosis.  So he thinks it is highly unlikely that I'd have peripheral artery disease in my leg.  He thought maybe this is just tendonitis, but I'm still concerned, because it doesn't feel like tendonitis, it's not focused at the joints or my heel, it's really bulk muscle fatigue.

Do you have any thoughts?  Looking at some online clinic pages, I've read that aneurysm can also cause claudication.  I'm wondering what I should do next?
Your symptoms could be claudication, but this is usually more of a cramping pain. The best way to look for impaired blood flow (which is what causes claudication) is to do a doppler evaluation called ABI (ankle brachial index).
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity