Heart Disease Expert Forum
Rapid Heart Rate after sleep/tremors

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Rapid Heart Rate after sleep/tremors

I just got on this forum and seen a bunch of ppl posting about how they are having issues with rapid heart rate. I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago with anxiety after i had my 1st born son. Ever since then things have been worse and worse for me because of all the additional stress of being a fulltime stay at home mom with two kids and alot of personal issues. Well I have called 911 4x in the passed couple months because of these "episodes" i have been experiencing. Some of the doctors were convinced that its just anxiety, nothing to worry about so i usually just got an ativan shot to calm me down and i was fine. Well lately, i have been experiencing other symptoms. my heart rate usually gets up into the 160's 170's causing me to have a numbing cooling sensation sometimes starting in my feet and sometimes my back. i cannot get my heart to go down when this occurs. It almost feels like I can't breath but i KNOW im still breathing im just hyperventalating myself thinking im not cuz im freaking out. I experience dizziness and weakness, shakiness and sometimes even tremors (head shaking) when i have an episode. The doctor said i have psvt.. I was on a heart monitor for two weeks as well as a beta blocker to slow my heart down and continued taking my ativan. My heart monitor read events of alot of Rapid heart rate but nothing out the abnormal from top or bottom of my heart, just that my heart wants 2 beat really fast. This usually tends to happen when i sleep. I go see a cardiologist on the 17th. They are also setting me up to do a sleep study to see if i possibly have sleep apnea and go into afib causing the rapid heart rate when i wake up becuz i stop breathing in bouts of sleep. Everytime I sleep, my whole body shakes and im aware of it shaking and sometimes it feels like my breathing gets more shallow when this happens. I just want 2 know if alot of you guys that are going through this are considering getting checked to see if you have sleep apnea?
I think you are following the correct course with the heart monitor and consulting with a cardiologist. From what you write it seems that sleep apea is an unlikely cause of your symptoms, but in any case a sleep study will clarify this. If you have AF that should be picked up by the heart monitor. It may well be that your symptoms are caused by anxiety, however it is wise to have them checked out and seeing a cardiologist is an appropriate place to start. Hopefully he or she can help you with this.