Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Atrial arrhythmias caused by Inappropriate vagal stimulation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD-APS on April 02, 1999 at 17:26:44:

In Reply to: Atrial arrhythmias caused by Inappropriate vagal stimulation posted by Peter on April 01, 1999 at 11:46:40:

:

Dear Peter,
Although as you say vagal tone likely has to do with the setting the stage for an arrhythmia to occur, I know of no research that pertains to your particular situation.  As a matter of fact, your situation is a case, not a series or a syndrome.  I wish you luck in finding others with similar situations.
As for your resting heart rate being low, this may have as much to do with your being a conditioned athlete as it does with vagal tone.  It sounds as if treating the esophagitis or preventing it is the best thing to do, NOT looking for some drug that manipulates your vagal tone (which you have no proof is the cause of your arrhythmia, rather you simply suspect it.)  Remember Peter, drugs all have potential side effects and this must be considered in weighing the risks and benefits; certainly, most physicians would not prescribe such a drug without an indication.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!

I appreciate what you say however being the person trying to live with this I
have to keep hoping and looking.  I know one thing - the KEY to solving this
mystery rests in identifying the swallowing trigger mechanism.  If I never had to
swallow this problem wouldn't exist.  How can something so obvious not allow
for proper diagnosis.  The Truth - nobody cares to look.
Wish me luck.
Peter

Dear Peter,
Thanks for using the Heart Forum, I am sorry that we could not be of more help.
As you may well know, yours is a pretty unique case, i.e. the "swallowing" as a trigger; I just do not see a way out of swallowing, nor do I buy that it is just a vagal mechanism as it is much more than just the vagal nerve involved in the swallowing process.  Good Luck.