Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Heart pounding every time I lay down

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on November 06, 1998 at 08:39:57:

In Reply to: Heart pounding every time I lay down posted by Barbara on November 05, 1998 at 15:27:29:

For the past 6 months or so my heart has started pounding every time I lay
down. When laying flat, my heart starts to pound to the point that I can
feel it throughout my chest all the way up to my throat, it's fairly
uncomfortable, but not painful. I am 36 years old, about 30 lbs overweight,
and have high cholesterol (approx.310), but my blood pressure has always
been good (120 over 80). My Family doctor said that it was "probably
anxiety" and if it started to interfere with sleep then I should start
taking medication. However, besides taking my blood pressure and
listening to my heart, the doctor really did not examine me. Should I be
concerned?
Dear Barbara
You could see a cardiologist if you like. Personally, I would perform a Holter monitor (portable EKG) on you to see if you are having any abnormal heart rhythms. I would also check your thyroid function. If these are both normal (if I had to guess, they will be), it would be reasonable to explore anxiety as a cause of your symptoms and figure out why you are anxious in the first place.
You also ought to work on losing weight and lowering your cholesterol to decrease the chances of heart disease later in life.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.