Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Low Cholesterol/High Triglycerides

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Low Cholesterol/High Triglycerides

Posted By Suzanne on January 14, 1999 at 18:30:22:

In Reply to: Re: Low Cholesterol/High Triglycerides posted by CCF CARDIO MD - MTR on January 14, 1999 at 08:43:46:

Today I have been reading about high triglyceride levels, and what
causes them. One website said that the diet is most often the cause, but
that other problems should be ruled out first, as it can be a problem
caused by other illnesses. Could you tell me if hypothyroidism could be
a cause for high triglycerides? My cholesterol levels overall (150
mg/dl), and the LDL levels (71 mg/dl) both are low, with my HDL being 42
(the low side of normal, but still within the normal range of the chart I was given).  
All I can find on the internet is information for high cholesterol, high
triglycerides....nothing about what to do if you have low cholesterol
and high triglycerides. Also, in case you need to know,  I am 33 yrs old,female,
overweight (possibly hypothryroidism..there are other symptoms that point
to that), and my blood pressure is absolutely textbook perfect...120/80.
My mother has hypertension, her mother had congestive heart failure and died
of a heart attack (age 76), AND my paternal grandfather died at age 61 from a
heart attack.
Thank you for your time.
Suzanne

Dear Suzanne, thank you for your question.  Hypothyroidism can cause hypertriglyceridemia, but since you didn't list your triglyceride level with your other cholesterol levels, it's hard for me to comment on what to do.  However, your hypothyroidism should be treated (I assume that's already being done) which should help to control the triglyceride levels.  Isolated hypertriglyceridemia can increase the risk of developing coronary artery disease, but the risk is not as much as for high LDL levels.   A low fat diet and daily exercise are excellent ways to control high triglyceride levels.  Your HDL and LDL levels are excellent though, so these are good signs.  Overall, if you control your risk factors (smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol) for coronary disease, things should continue to go well.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
  ____

Thank you for your fast reply!  I am sorry that I neglected to put the triglyceride levels on the previous note. The triglycerides were 183mg/dl, and the range being used was 10-150mg/dl.
As far as other risk factors are concerned, I do not drink, or smoke, blood pressure fine, cholesterol fine, and so far I have not been diagnosed with diabetes.
Thanks again for your time. Have a great evening!