Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: PVC's

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: PVC's

Posted By Kelsey on May 29, 1999 at 15:07:05
I have written before and appreciate your comments. I have a short question. I have PVC's and PAC's daily. Lately, (3 days now), they have been coming in runs one after another and I get really scared. It scares me because I feel like I may not get them to stop. I cough, change position, whatever it takes to make them stop. It takes about 10 seconds for them to stop. Do I need to be reevaluated or do you feel that they are ok. What will happen if they do not stop? Will I faint or go into cardiac arrest or something serious? They are a nuisance but I can handle getting one or two a minute, but it really scares me when they come all in a row and for 10 seconds or more. Thank you so much for anwering so many questions.

Posted By Cheryl on May 30, 1999 at 10:52:06
I too have suffered with PVCs & PACs for many years.  Mine appears to be associated with a pre-menopausal condition. I'm 49 and have not seen a Doctor because I'm a registered nurse that knows that this condition occurs frequently with pre-menopausal conditions in women. I have also limited the amount of stimulants (coffee, coke, etc.) and this does help but doesn't make them go away.  I have never smoked and I'm only slightly over weight, so I feel my health is not a real factor. Mine are worse at certain times of the day and I'm not sure what the relationship is yet, but I'm not worried because they appear to be benign.  Hope this makes you feel better Kelsey and I hope you find answers to all your questions :-)

Posted By Lisa on May 30, 1999 at 11:25:46
Hi Cheryl,
I am so happy to hear someone say pre menopausal.  I had a female cardiologist, who unfortunately moved out of state.  She seemed to think too that hormones and such had alot to do with the palps. Of course my OB/GYN couldn't be convinced of this.  I wish some research would be performed in this area.  Please Cheryl, if you have anymore input on this subject, let me know.  You can post here, or email me.  By the way, I am 38, the right age to start pre menopause. I have had this palpatation problem for 3 years now. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Lisa

Posted By Doreen on June 02, 1999 at 19:36:44
Hello to all the PVC and PAC sufferers,
I have had these for many years, as well as PATs and SVTs.  I think we should start a correspondence club.  I've included my email address.  I have also had short jabs of chest pain (usually my left side)- sometimes nothing will happen afterwards and sometimes I'll get irregular beating.  I've been in to see two cardiologists, had a stress, multiple EKGs, and echocardiogram.  Also wore the holter monitor and event monitor (which is the best thing to wear - it will catch many of the irregular beats).  Basically the diagnosis is a benign condition, like the rest of you.  I share the terrible anxiety with all of you. I am taking 25 mg of Atenolol daily now; I think it has helped tremendously.  I still have irregular beats but they are much less in frequency.  Still, I am scared about my symtoms (symptoms) and want to bang my head against a wall!  I wish all of you good luck.  We should all keep in touch periodically.
D.H.

Follow Ups: