Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Palpatations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: Palpatations

Posted By Lisa on April 16, 1999 at 11:40:05
Hello, I am a 38 year old female, never had children. 3 years ago I started suffering with severe bouts of palpatations. I went to a cardiologist, who performed many test including: echocardiogram, ekg's, blood work, thyroid panel, chest x-rays, etc.  The diagnosis was benign PVC's and PAC's (palpatations). I was put on the medication atenelol, I take 100mg in the morning and 50mg at night, I also take .05mg xanax nightly, or when palpatations are more frequently happening.  Even with this medication, I am still experiencing the palpatations, and although I have been told they are not life threatening, they are certainly life disruptive.  I have also taken a biofeedback program to try and learn how to relax myself during these episodes.  My main concern is: could this be hormonally related or GI related, I notice they sometimes get worse durning PMS and sometimes after eating.  Although, they can also come out of the blue with nothing triggering them.  Are there no test, on glands etc, that could be done to pinpoint the cause of these?  Are there any test that I should ask my cardiologist to perform?  I really want to have these behind me, so I can go about my normal life routine again.  I am going to move to Pennsylvania soon, and would also like recommendations on a good cardiologist in the Scranton area.  And, also I would like to have a child in the next few years, but I am so afraid of what the palpatations will do during pregnancy.  Thank you for any help and suggestions that can be offered. It is greatly appreciated. Please email me at ***@**** with any info also...thanks...Lisa

Posted By Doreen on April 16, 1999 at 16:44:10
Dear Lisa,
I understand completely about your fear over palpitations.  I have the same thing going - PVCs, PATs, and PACs. I've had them most of my adult life (am 42 now)but they are more severe now.  Just got through a whole bunch of tests: almost everything came out normal except my echocardiogram which discovered a very slightly enlarged left atrium and slightly high pressure in the left pulmonary artery (my doctors said this was nothing...?).  Anyway, I'm being told that stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, and depression contribute in a great way to these irregular heartbeats.  I also am being told that they are not life threatening.  I am taking Atenolol and have a prescription for Xanax that I take only occasionally.  The beta blocker has subdued the irregularities but I still get them.  They are certainly disrupting my life!  I hope the heart forum people can help you.  It is reassuring to know that many people suffer from these symptons and go on to lead a long life.  Good luck.
Doreen

Posted By Christina on April 16, 1999 at 21:45:08
what a relief it is to hear that there are others out there that are having the type of palpatations I am.  I am a 34 year old female who over the years since around 16 years old have had episodes of tachycardia. When I became pregnant for the first time they become severe.  During my pregancy my heart rate would go up to 180 plus beats a minute.  I was in the emergency one time with my heart up to 220.  I was scared to death, especially carrying my baby. Since my pregancy the episodes have slowed down but they still happen on occassion and totally disrupt my day.  They only stop if I go to sleep.  When I was pregnant however, they did not stop when I went to sleep.  I would either go into the emergency room or the cardiologists to get a small amount of verapamil in an IV.  Within minutes my heart-rate would return to normal. I have also been told it is not life threatening. After talking to my chardiologist and OBGYN I have decided to try to become pregnant again.  They both feel the SVT will not interfere with the pregancy.  My cardiologist said if I was passing out it might not be a good idea to get pregnant.  I have not passed out but there are times when I feel like it.  I can't climb a flight of stairs without taking a rest because I start to feel very week.  Just getting up and walking around totally exhausts me.
I wish there was something safe to take during my pregnancy because it will be difficult to take care of a toddler wile having an episode of SVT. Is there anything safe out there?  Is there any risk to me or the baby with SVT?  Is it a good idea to continue to exercise during a future pregnancy?  I currently exercise 3/4 times a week. Am I correct in assuming that the SVT will become more severe when I get pregnant again?

Follow Ups:

Re: Palpatations CCF CARDIO MD-APS 4/22/1999
(0)

Re: Palpatations Jim 4/19/1999
(4)

Palpatations CCF CARDIO MD-APS 4/22/1999
(0)

Palpatations Laura 4/22/1999
(2)

(1)

Palpatations Laura 4/23/1999
(0)