Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Tooth abscess and heart valve damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By Francis on April 17, 1999 at 23:55:48
Hi:
     My problem doesn't compare to the other life and death posts that I read here but it is important to me.  My dentist is unsure if I have an abscess in one of my molar teeth.  The tooth has been chipped off for years and while it doesn't look normal but it causes me no trouble either.  I read where a dental abscess has symptoms like--sensitivity to hot and cold foods, pain, sinus infections, facial swelling, etc..  I have none of these symptoms but the dentist still wants to extract the tooth.  I do not want to.  If I leave the tooth as is and there is a low grade abscess present and it exists for a long time will I be doing possible damage to my heart valves?  I should add that I am in my late 30's, male, and my general health is good to very good.  I do not want to leave the tooth as is if I am going to cause long term serious damage to myself (heart valves).  Is there any information on links between dental abscess and heart valve damage?  And h
Posted By CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on April 18, 1999 at 10:25:24

Dear Francis
If you do have an abscess, the tooth needs to be removed for a variety of reasons. Among the reasons, is the possibility of the infection spreading through the bloodstream to the heart valves and damaging them. This is not something that occurs slowly - it is an all or none phenomenon. Thus, there is no way to know if it will spread ahead of time or when it might spread.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.

Follow Ups:

A related discussion, Connection to abscessed and arrhythmia was started.
A related discussion, long term tooth infection was started.