Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: Tooth abscess and heart valve damage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Tooth abscess and heart valve damage

Posted By Francis on April 17, 1999 at 23:55:48
Hi:
     My problem doesn't compare to the other life and death posts that I read here but it is important to me.  My dentist is unsure if I have an abscess in one of my molar teeth.  The tooth has been chipped off for years and while it doesn't look normal but it causes me no trouble either.  I read where a dental abscess has symptoms like--sensitivity to hot and cold foods, pain, sinus infections, facial swelling, etc..  I have none of these symptoms but the dentist still wants to extract the tooth.  I do not want to.  If I leave the tooth as is and there is a low grade abscess present and it exists for a long time will I be doing possible damage to my heart valves?  I should add that I am in my late 30's, male, and my general health is good to very good.  I do not want to leave the tooth as is if I am going to cause long term serious damage to myself (heart valves).  Is there any information on links between dental abscess and heart valve damage?  And h