Heart Disease Expert Forum
Re: WELCOME TO THE HEART FORUM!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: WELCOME TO THE HEART FORUM!

Posted By Frank Krogh on May 08, 1998 at 09:58:15:

In Reply to: WELCOME TO THE HEART FORUM! posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on April 16, 1998 at 09:13:53:

: : My mother has viral cardiomyopathy. Her condition was
stable until recently. In the past month her condition has worsened and
she was hospitalized twice. Her doctor told her she needs a heart
transplant and referred her to a transplant unit. She would like a second
opinion and we had thought that a doctor from the Cleveland Clinic might
be able to give her a second opinion. Could you please tell me what your
referrable policy is? Who I would call regarding a second opinion? I
would also like to know the Cleveland Clinic's success rate for heart transplants.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Rosemary:
Heart transplants are complicated surgeries that should only be performed at medical centers that do a large number every year.  At experienced centers, the one and five year survival rates are excellent.  The exact survival rate will of course depend on how sick the patient is at the time of surgery.  The most important question is whether a patient needs a heart transplant and whether he or she  would be a good candidate.  There are several medical conditions that preclude heart transplantation.  In addition, undergoing a heart transplant is a serious commitment for a patient; it entails taking medications lifelong, and also following up regularly with medical professionals.  The Cleveland Clinic is a leading center for performing heart transplants, and also for taking care of patients that have had viral cardiomyopathy through non-surgical means.
If you wish for your mother to be evaluated here at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist who specializes in heart failure and transplants at desk F25.  Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your doctor.
Frank Krogh Wrote:
My father-in-law had a severe heart attack in 1984, followed by angioplasty. Now, he's having chest pains. His cardiologist has scheduled him for a stress test. I have read that in a patient with a previous MI, already experiencing symptoms, it is often not advisable to put him on a treadmill. What do you think?