Heart Disease Expert Forum
SVT and blips

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SVT and blips

Hi, I have been diagnosed with SVT some years ago, and I have had this since I was about 17, I am now 43.  I am not particularly healthy, have not been able to get much exercise over the last three years due to working hours, and other health complications. I smoke, and like a drink.  I am now having what I previously considered to be ectopics, these were infrequent, and never really bothered me; however, now they are about 20 an hour, and really make me jump and lose my breath.  I managed to tape one on my iphone and you can hear that a beat is missed, you can also hear the pitch of the beat change and liquid sloshing around.  I feel generally unwell, dizzy, and just 'out of it' for two weeks now.  I have also started to have panic attacks due to these blips, as even talking to someone while they are happenning causes more of them.  I am scared to sleep at the moment. I have had three ECG's: one was normal, and the other two abnormal, but I do not know what may be wrong as I have not been told anything. The Doctors said thay would scan my ECG and add to my referral record, that is it!  I do not know how long I will have to wait for the referral, or whether there is anything here i need to be concerned about; or more importantly whether i need to modify my life, as i drive 60 miles on the motorway each way to work everyday.  UK NHS is rubbish!
Tags: worried
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Ectopic beats are basically just extra beats originating from the upper or lower chambers of the heart and not using the typical conduction system of the heart. They are generally benign and not something to worry about. They are extremely common, and some people just notice them more than others. If the episodes are happening in isolation and only last a second, then they are likely not runs of SVT but just ectopic beats, and nothing to worry about. If they are lasting longer (for minutes at a time) then they could be SVT and you might need medication to control this. Either way, it sounds like you should be evaluated by a cardiologist but it doesn't sound like there is anything dangerous or life threatening going on, so it's okay to wait for the referral to come through. If things change, you can always be seen in the ER.