Heart Disease Expert Forum
SVT with shakes!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

SVT with shakes!!

I am 43 yrs old and never experienced this before.  A week and a half ago I was laying in the bed, with my 100 lb. big black lab baby waiting to go to work....did I want to no, but that wasn't the problem.  About an hr. before my heart started beating out of my chest.  I didn't have a clue.  went to work anyway and on the the small drive my left arm felt like it was going to sleep.  As a bartender, I'm the only one there so I had to wait for someone to get there.  After, 20 min. couldn't breath at all.  I had 3 of those episodes before I said....SEE YA. Got to the ER and my heart rate was 194 and diagnosed with SVT.  Yeah you know what they did....so much fun!!!  I still have the black and blue mark from the 18 gauge IV.
But since then I've been waking up with the shakes so bad I can't even drink a glass of water.  Anyone know what is up with this??  Even during the day I have the shakes.  WTFrigg????
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey,

It is hard to give you an accurate assessment of the situation without taking a look at your EKGs and meeting you in person but I can give you some general advice.
First of all, Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is an umbrella term for all fast heart rhythms originating from the top chamber of the heart. It is a condition that is seen often in young people like yourself and is easily treatable.
There are multiple classes of medications that can be prescribed to you if it is a frequent occurrence and also on an as needed basis if it is infrequent.
But most important thing is to make sure that a correct diagnosis is established and other structural problems in your heart are ruled out.
You should get an echocardiogram and have your EKGs reviewed by a cardiologist, so that the diagnosis is certain. There might be subtleties in the EKG which might not be picked up in the ER and it might have different implications on treatment.
So, my suggestion is to get evaluated by a local cardiologist. There are plenty of options available for you if you indeed have SVT
Hope that helps