Heart Disease Expert Forum
Turbulent Sensation near Femoral/Iliac Artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm a 39 year old male with a history of smoking and high blood pressure (which runs in the family). BP normally runs about 138/75. About two years ago was prescribed (25mg daily, if I recall correctly) HCTZ, but after about two months had an episode where I felt was having a heart attack and went to the emergency room. Electocardiogram was fine and chest x-rays were all normal... this was July 2009. GP felt that perhaps the HCTZ had messed with electrolytes, and since then I have been maintaining lower blood pressure (125-140/67-80 generally) via exercise (yoga, rowing, walking, hiking) and limited salt intake, though still smoke about 8 cigarettes per day.

In the past week I have been experiencing a feeling of blood pulsing/swooshing along the left side of groin, though at times it feels to be the testicle itself. No abnormalities noted in self examination, no obvious discoloration or bruising in the area, and no weakness or stiffness in the leg muscles. It doesn't seem to be a result of injury although I did have a violent coughing fit a few days prior to this (which made me think initially it was a hernia). The feeling comes and goes but seems to be becoming more persistent, whereas at the beginning of the week it seemed to arise primarily after/during a meal (I assume because more blood was flowing to the lower abdomen).

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP on Monday, but wanted to ensure this wasn't something that needed immediate attention (ie, blood clot). Could this be a sign of vascular disease, increased blood pressure, or blockage? I feel at dis-ease when the sensation is there, and am certain that a stethoscope would hear the turbulent blood flow (if I had one), but other than this anxiety and the visceral feeling of blood surging and swooshing in the left groin area I have no other symptoms. What could this be and what would you recommend?
Based on your symptoms and risk factors, it does not appear that this is a vascular related phenomenon.  I think until the symptoms are better defined, your GP should be able to help guide further testing and work-up.