Heart Disease Expert Forum
Waiting for surgery....

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Waiting for surgery....

I am a 32 year old male that was diagnosed with MVP about 7 years ago.
  My cardiologist has told me so much about Dr. Cosgrove over the years...well, I'm finally going to meet him.   In my 2D Echo test 2 1/2 weeks ago it was found that my left atrium(sp?) has increased in size from 4cm to 5 1/2 cm, and so he feels it's time to get the problem fixed.  I have no symptoms at all except when I lie on my left side I can hear my heart beat thru my chest wall.   I feel great....but he feels it's now the time to have surgery.  I am being referred to Dr. Cosgrove and I am so impressed with everything I've read and heard about him, I feel very lucky to have him do the needed surgery.   I am a little nervous though... First off, I have been waiting 2 1/2 weeks to hear something.  I know it takes time to get info to the clinic and Dr. Cosgrove is a very busy man, however is there any kind of time frame involved?  weeks? months?
  Also I hope he can do the Cosgrove "key hole" procedure...is there any information out there on who are good candidates for that procedure?  I am also hoping he can repair my valve instead of putting another valve in... I am so full of questions and although I am very positive about the upcoming surgery, the waiting is the hardest part.   Any info is very appreciated.   Thanks!

Dear Mike, thank you for your question.   MVP (mitral valve prolapse) is caused by degeneration of the mitral valve leaflets and appartus causing the valve to "dome" and become incompetent to allow blood to leak back from the left ventricle to the left atrium.  Many patients with this condition are asymptomatic like yourself but with time, the left atrium and left ventricle can enlarge so we try to repair (or replace) the valve early to prevent irreversible enlargement.  Whether or not you would be a candidate for a vavle repair vs. a valve replacement depends upon what your echo shows so I can't comment on that at this point.  Minimally invasive surgery ("keyhole" procedure) is now being used extensively for valvular surgery and the results are quite good.  A 3-4 inch incision replaces the traditional full sternum incision and patients have less postoperative pain and a shorter convalescence.  Dr. Cosgrove and other surgeons at CCF have been doing this type of surgery for almost two years now and the results are very good.  Most patients are good candidates for minimally invasive surgery.  Dr. Cosgrove is very busy as you guessed and patients typically have to wait a few months for an elective surgery.  There is no rush to perform your surgery and Dr. Cosgrove's office will schedule you for an appointment at Cleveland Clinic as soon as they can.  You will first see a cardiologist here and probably have an echo repeated before having surgery.  In the meantime, if you want more information, try reading an article in an August 1997 issue of U.S. News and World Report that ranked hospitals in the U.S. about minimally invasive surgery.   I know that waiting for this surgery can be nerve wracking, but try to keep a positive attitude like you're doing.  I hope you find this information useful.
Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your physician.