Heart Disease Expert Forum
atenolol does cause major memory problems in some patients

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

theres another discussion about atenolol causing memory problems. My mom(60) started taking it as a third high blood pressure medicine. it didnt seem to do ANYTHING for her bp, but she started having minor memory problems and confusion. She didn't relate it to the medicine, and didn't even think to relate it to a medicine and as time went by, things got worse. One day(at this point, she had been on it for about 5-6 months or so), she is in the parking lot of a familiar place, and suddenly, she doesn't know what to do to get out of there.  She called me on the phone and I drove down and helped her get back home. From that point, she has problems remembering where the bathroom or bedroom or kitchen is in her own home. That's a horrible thing to witness as I can tell it's really frustrating to her.  I started researching many possible causes including her medication and found that atenolol has caused many memory problems in many patients.  After talking to her doctor, she stopped the atenolol. To this day, she still has those memory problems(Doctors are saying it's dementia[the symptoms of alzheimers disease]). However, On her last appointment, her doctor said that her memory appears to be stabilized(now that she is off of atenolol) but not improving. WHY couldn't SOMEONE advise us that this can be such an incredibly dangerous drug.  No one should have to go through this. So for the sake of anyone trying to research this, the answer is YES, atenolol CAN CAUSE(and in my mom's case, DID) HORRIBLE memory problems!!  I just hope this post helps someone out there before it's too bad or too late to reverse the effects of it!
I am certainly sorry that there were side effects associated with some of the medications that your mother was taking. The list of adverse effects for any medication can often times be long -- and should be gone over (at least the major ones) with the prescribing physician.  Unfortunately, it is impossible to be able to predict who will experience which ones -- and careful attention should always be paid to for the development of any symptoms.