Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial fibulation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

atrial fibulation

i take one 300mg quindex daily to keep things normal
  i was wondering if any one else out there has experienced
  nasty bouts of belching just prior to a-fib starting?
  if i stop taking the pills i can go for weeks to months
  before a bout of a-fib.
  i can tell when it is going to start because the horrendous
  belching starts first. if i hold back on the belches the a-fib will
  start. i usually can stay ahead of it but every once in a while
  its so bad i cannot pass the air fast enough.
  this only happens when i'm off the pills.
  while on the pills i rarely breakthrough and do not have bouts of belching.
  my doctor does not have an explaination

Dear Bob,
I do not think that science and or medicine have an answer for you, but you might wonder
as Jim (who replied already) that maybe the belching is bringing on the atrial fibrillation.
As a physician I am more inclined to think that you get the a.fib. and by some method (that is as yet not understood)
it causes an irritation of your GI system such that you belch as you say.  This is also most likely the order
of events b/c you do not get the belching when you are on the quinidine and the a.fib is prevented-or so it seems.
I can tell you this much though, it is known that the heart, esophagus, upper stomach, diaphragm and other
organs that occupy a portion of the chest cavity, or are anatomically close to it, DO share innervation.  That is to
say, these various organs share the same pain and sensation pathways that talk to the brain.  The best example of this
is that often in a patient who is experiencing an acute inferior myocardial infarction (heart attack of the lower portion of
the heart that sits just above the stomach) the only symtoms (symptoms) are indigestion or upset stomach (and NO chest pain!)  As a matter
of fact, shortness of breath and sweatiness are more likey to occur with the stomach upset than is a sensation of chest pain.
So you see Bob, you are not so far off in your assessment of your disease (a.fib) and it's accompanying symptoms (belching.)
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general medical informational purposes
only. Only your physician can provide specific diagnosis and therapies.
Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire
online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your problem.