Heart Disease Expert Forum
atypical symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

atypical symptoms

For 6 months I've been having atypical chest pain,  it is like a heavy feeling in the center of my chest present much of the time.    

I have also, for the same amount of time been having palpitations which happen in the same area of the heavy chest pressure (center, upper central chest).    The palps just feel like somebody kicks the inside of my chest and things rattle around in there, some times they feel upper abdominal palps.    

Sometimes,  I feel a very intense and forceful heartbeat in the center of my chest and it pumps so hard it make my head pound so hard I get dizzy.  It sort of feels like my heart is trying very hard to pump very thick blood, or that it is just contracting far too hard.  This is often cause by first standing or walking up stairs and is often accompanied by breathlessness and maybe lightheadedness.
Often it feels like my heart is "working too hard" as if I had just eating a gallon of grease.   Rarely, my palpitation might be so hard it will cause me to have near syncope.

One thing I've noticed is that my "brain fog"/anxiety and autonomic type symptoms seem to get far better for about an hour or 2 after a hard exercise session, however my physical symptoms really do not,  in fact exercise tends to invoke or aggrivate the palpitations for a while after (or during) exercise, and the heaviness in my chest and feeling that my heart is working too hard (or being slightly squeezed) remains.   Another thing, when I lay in different positions, I feel pressure build up in different areas of my chest or body and my pulse pounds hard at that location.

I had a regular stress test, a resting echo, chest xray, brain MRI, and labs.  Nothing has shown up. The dr. who did my stress told me not to worry about the palps and just exercise anyway (even though I didn't have a palp during the exercise test).

I am just wondering what you think of all this situation?
I get this quite frequently on this forum.  I am assuming that you are a young and healthy individual.  I agree with your cardiologist that this is most likely benign and that you should continue to exercise.  Most of the time people develop palpitations due to premature beats which majority of the time are benign and have no impact on your health.  In rare instances, the beats could be so frequent that they could cause the heart to weaken.  At that point either aggressive medical therapy or ablation is indicated.  The only way to tell if you are in that group of patients is to wear a Holter monitor and document the number of premature beats in 24 hours.  Anything greater than 10% premature beats in 24 hours is considered abnormal.  If your symptoms are really bothering you now I would consider a trial of medication such as calcium channel blockers of beta blockers.  you could even use them on a prn basis where you would only take them on your bad days.  The fact that all your cardiac testing is normal is very reassuring.  I am assuming that you already stopped all the caffeine intake and that you don't take any weight loss or ephedra containing products.  Also, anxiety can sometimes account for these symptoms.  If you feel that this may be the case, consider further evalution and therapy for that.