Heart Disease Expert Forum
chest pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

chest pain

Hello, I'm a 40 years old male, 5'10 and 155 pounds. I never smoked and drink occasionally. For about a month now I have had this sporadic, localized pain on the left side of my chest.  Sometimes I feel it in the center of my chest and on the right side of my chest too.  It comes and goes throughout the day, I could be sitting, walking, or standing when it comes on.  When it hurts in a certain spot it never last longer then seconds but it could hurt in one spot and then move to another spot of the chest within minutes to hours later.  I have no other symptoms,  Should I be concerned about my heart?  Thank you so very much for your response Doctor.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello,

It is very hard to give you an accurate answer to the question without getting additional details and reviewing your medical history in person, but I can give you some helpful information.
Although you are still young, heart disease may be encountered in males of your age. You do mention that you are not a smoker but the decision to pursue additonal cardiac testing is based on presence of multiple risk factors like hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, family history besides smoking.
The description of your chest pain is not very typical of a heart disease per se but I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and discuss if you need additional testing. You should talk to your doctor about stress testing and if you need one. This could help settle the nature of your pain with reasonable certainty.

Hope that helps.

CCFHeartMD19