Heart Disease Expert Forum
fast heart rate do i need to worry??

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

fast heart rate do i need to worry??

hi im 32 years old im male i weigh 220 im 5'11..
  this is my question or fear..it started after my wife and i divorced!!my heart rate went up. and it would go up all the time. it would go up to about 150 per min and id wake up in a cold sweat with my heart beating so hard and fast you could see my chest go up and down.i went to the the emergncy room countless times and every time i went there my heart rate would go down..and everytime they tested me they said i was fine..
  they did blood test and put me on a ekg..they did it all..i think they got tired of seeing me. so they gave me a beta blocker called temnorman excuse me if i spelled it wrong..or antenenal im not sure.and i also quit using caffine too. i still smoke though. but i take 5 mill of temnorman a day..
  it seemed to do the trick my heart rate went down to about 75 to 77 while resting.but now its going back up not as high. but it goes about a 100.
  and stays. even while resting..somtimes it goes to around 75-85
  i also tested my self i jogged in place for about 10 min going really fast then pacing then fast. my heart rate went about 120. but went back down to a 100..my heart does wind down, just before bed. and when i wake up its around 65-74 but as the day progresses it get around 85-100 is this ok, should i worry. i dont get shortness of breath or any wierd feelings in my chest.i have some slight pain in the top of my left hand and the top of my left shoulder.im left handed if that makes a difference.
  well anyways can you give me some clue if i have somthing to worry about.
  thanks in advance..

_
Dear Keith, thank you for your question.  I suspect that you were having palpitations related to caffeine, tobacco, and anxiety and I doubt that you have a serious cardiac condition.  Palpitations are caused by premature atrial and ventricular beats that are induced by alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and stress/anxiety so I strongly recommend that you avoid all of these precipitants.  Tenormin is a beta blocker that is designed to stabilize the heart rhythm and slow the heart rate.  From what you write, it sounds like your heart rate is responding normally to different conditions, so I recommend that you don't focus on how fast or slow your heart rate is.  At your age and with the tests you've already had performed, I think that you have a normal heart.  However, only your cardiologist can determine that for sure.  Good luck.

I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.